Topics Map > UWP Tech Bar
Topics Map > Instructional Continuity
Topics Map > Campus Services > Help and Support Services
Topics Map > Learning Technology > Canvas
Using Honorlock in Incognito Mode
This page shows how to use Honorlock in Google Chrome's incognito mode in the event that a student gets stuck at a quiz password screen despite properly running Honorlock.
When a student tries to begin an Honorlock-enabled quiz, they will get stuck at the Canvas quiz password screen if they do not have the Honorlock Google Chrome extension active. Enabling the Honorlock extension should automatically reload this page and initiate the Honorlock startup process, but on rare occasion this may not happen. If reloading the page doesn't bypass this password screen, taking the quiz in incognito mode may resolve the problem.
Opening a page in Google Chrome's incognito mode will force your browser to download a fresh copy of the webpage. This essentially achieves the same result as clearing your browser cache, except this doesn't wipe out the rest of your browser's cached data. Starting incognito mode is a one-step process, but you'll have to give Honorlock the permission to work in incognito mode first.
- Click the ⋮ Options icon on the upper-right of your Google Chrome browser and navigate down to More Tools → Extensions
- Click Details on the Honorlock pane (and make sure that the extension is switched on while you're at this screen)
- Turn on the Allow in Incognito option
- Honorlock does not actively run unless you are in the process of taking an Honorlock-enabled Canvas quiz. Just like in normal browsing mode, Honorlock will not track your internet activity even if the user doesn't deactivate/delete it in-between quizzes.
- Open an Incognito window in one of the following ways:
- Type Control + Shift + N (Windows) or Command + Shift + N (Mac)
- Click the ⋮ More Options icon on the upper-right of your Google Chrome browser and select New Incognito Window near the top of this menu
- Right-click your Google Chrome icon or the Chrome window on your Windows taskbar and select New Incognito Window from the menu
- Go to your Canvas course and navigate to your quiz like you normally would. It should bring you straight to the Honorlock startup screen as intended instead of stopping you at the password screen