Topics Map > Campus Technology > Network & Telecom
MAC - How to Map a Network Drive
Instructions on how to connect a Mac to a UW-Parkside network drive
- Press Command+K to bring up the Connect to Server window.
- Enter the path to the network drive you want to map, ie: smb://uwpfs.ad.uwp.edu/.
- Click on the Connect button.
- Enter your UW-Parkside NetID and Password.
- Click OK to mount the network drive.
The drive will now appear on your desktop and in the Finder window sidebar. This method connects to and maps a network drive or network share that will disappear if the network connection drops, is disconnected, or if you reboot your Mac:
How to Make the Mapped Network Drive Visible on the Mac Desktop
It’s possible that the mounted drive will not appear on the desktop due to a system setting. If you want the mapped drive icon to be visible on the Desktop, follow the next steps:
- From the Finder, open Finder Preferences.
- Click the General tab.
- Select the checkbox next to Connected Servers, then close Finder Preferences.
Selecting the checkbox next to Connected Servers ensures that you’ll see the icon on your Mac Desktop, otherwise it will only be visible in the Finder window sidebars and Open/Save dialogues.