CommonSpot: How to Add the Related News Widget
Learn how to add the related news widget to your page. Use this widget to display the top three news stories in the right column of your page. Note: Related News is a replacement for Current News.
- Open the page you want to use the Related News widget with. (Author mode - View > Work on this Page).
- Click on the Click to insert new element link in the right column of your page.
- From the Element Gallery, expand the UWP Right Column Widgets category and choose Related News.
- Click on the Related News gear icon, choose New Data.
- Fill in the New Data properties.
o Widget Header: pre-filled with the heading ‘Related News’, if needed it can be customized.
o Academic Program: click the Browse Taxonomy button to choose the terms for an academic program. For example, if your webpage is for the English department, you could select English to see news related to this department.
o Audience: click the Browse Taxonomy button to choose the terms related to Audience. The targeted audience for the news can include alumni, faculty, staff, students, community, etc.
o Building: click the Browse Taxonomy button to choose terms related to the building. This will pull news events as it relates to those buildings. Choices include the Ballroom, Greenquist, Molinaro, Rita, Wyllie, etc.
o College: click the Browse Taxonomy button to choose terms related to the college. Pick from the four different colleges to gets news feeds about – CAH, CNHS, CBEC and CSSPS.
o Office: click the Browse Taxonomy button to choose terms related to a specific office or departmental area. Office terms include, but are not limited to - Academic Affairs, Business Services, OMSA, Financial Aid, Residence Life, etc.
o Topic: click the Browse Taxonomy button to choose terms related to a specific topic. Currently there are seven topics the news displayed can be filtered by – Admissions, Athletics, Economic Development, Rita News, Advising, Community Engagement and Innovation Hub.
o Article Category: click Browse Taxonomy to choose terms for article category. Show news in the widget that falls under a particular category such as Campus News or Press News, etc.
- Click Save.
- Back on your page, click the orange Preview button to display how your finished Related News widget box will appear.
*Related News example:
Check out the How To video: