CommonSpot: How to Request a Vanity URL
Learn how to request a Vanity URL. A vanity URL is a short, easy to remember URL (web address). This can greatly help bring traffic (visitors) to your site. Note: vanity URLs will point to the homepage (index) of a subsite, only in rare instances will this be different. The reason for this is that pages inside a subsite often change, move or are deleted, but a homepage is a stable address.
Examples of Vanity URLsâ¦
This URL: https://www.uwp.edu/explore/offices/campustechnologyservices/index.cfm
Becomes this vanity URL: http://www.uwp.edu/cts
This URL: https://www.uwp.edu/explore/news/commencement/index.cfm
Becomes this vanity URL: http://www.uwp.edu/commencement
Requesting a vanity URL for your siteâ¦
- Go to https://uwp.edu/website
- Click the âWebsite Work Requestâ button. This will redirect you to a Qualtrics form.
- Fill out the requested information: name, email and phone. For the Project Type, choose Vanity URL Request.
- Click the green forward arrow button to continue.
- Type in the vanity URL information: URL of webpage to forward to and requested vanity URL. Note: the vanity URL should point to a folder on your site.
- Click the green forward arrow button to submit request.
The web team will receive your request and follow up with any questions or let you know of completion.