CommonSpot: How to Request a Search Promotion
Learn how to request a search promotion. A search promotion allows your site to be bumped to the top of the result list during a site search. Your site will be linked with specific keywords. When a visitor is on the UWP site, they enter their search term and if it matches with your sites keywords, the search engine will bring your site to the top of the results page. Note: promotions can appear and expire over time. For example, commencement is a popular and searched for site twice a year. We could run a promotion for it in the two weeks before and two weeks after commencement each semester by simply deciding when our promotion should begin and end.
Examples of Search Promotion are below…
When entering the search term: 'graduation', the UW Parkside Commencement site was brought to the top of the result list.
When entering the search term: 'books', the University Bookstore site was brought to the top of the result list. Other search terms – bookstore, buy books, book, book store would have also brought up this site.
Other examples: using search terms such as - cafeteria, cafeteria hours, menu, dining, food service brings up the UW Parkside Dining site. Search terms – traditions of excellence, traditions of excellence alumni awards, outstanding alumni awards, distinguished alumni awards, alumni award recipients brings up the Traditions of Excellence site.
Requesting a Search Promotion for your site...
- Go to https://uwp.edu/website.
- Click the ‘Website Work Request’ button. This will redirect you to a Qualtrics form.
- Fill out the requested information: name, email and phone. For the Project Type, choose Other.
- Click the green forward arrow button to continue.
- Fill in the comments/work needed field. This should include keywords you want to use help find your site during a search.
- Click the green forward arrow button to submit request.
The web team will receive your request and follow up with any questions or let you know of completion.