CommonSpot: How to Create a News Article Page
Learn how to create a news article page.
- From the CommonSpot primary menu bar, select New > Page.
- Select the /explore/news/ subsite and click Next.
- In the Template Gallery, the Base Plus One Template will be selected by default. Click Next.
- Enter the standard page properties as it pertains to your new page, click Next when complete.
o Name – short name for the page, no spaces, will be used for page’s URL.
o Title – title of the page, displayed in breadcrumb navigation.
o Title Bar Caption – always start the title with UW Parkside…this is what is seen in the browser tab
o Category – Content Page
o Publication/Expiration Date – schedule a date/time for publication and expiration if desired.
- From the Custom Properties window, uncheck the box for ‘Display page title’ on the PageLayout tab. Click Save.
- Click on the gear icon for the Articles element, choose New Data from the menu.
- From the New Data window observe 4 tabs – Articles, Taxonomy, Home Page and Press Room.
o From the Articles tab, enter the following information:
§ Article Title - title for the news article. Note: this does not display on the page, for editor reference only.
§ Article Date – article release date, double click desired date from calendar icon.
§ Article Headline – the headline for your article, this will appear at the top of the content area of your page, in the News Archive and in the News area on the Home Page (if chosen to display).
§ Article Summary – short description that will be displayed on the Home Page (if chosen to display).
§ Article By Line - author or source of the article.
§ Article Text - the body of the news article, type or copy/paste content into the text editor.
§ Active - click to check the box for making the article active.
o From the Taxonomy tab:
§ Assign this article to terms that can be used to display this page with other pages of similar categorization. Pick from groupings such as Academic Program, Audience, College, etc.
o From the Home Page tab (University Relations Use Only):
§ This tab is not for general use. If you would like your article linked on the University homepage, please contact University Relations.
o From the Press Room tab (University Relations Use Only):
§ This tab is not for general use. If you have an article from an external source, please contact University Relations.
- Click Save.