Topics Map > Veterans Services

Veterans Services - GI Bill Frequently Asked Questions

The purpose of this article is to provide Veterans with information on the GI Bill.


Question: How do I get started on using my Montgomery or Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits?
Answer: Applying is easy.   Here is the link to apply for educational benefits.

Question: If my application for benefits is refused, can I appeal?
Answer: Like other federal benefits programs, decisions of the Veterans Administration concerning benefit eligibility can be appealed. Your initial step is to file a "Notice of Disagreement" form. These forms are available from the VA office as well as a brochure which outlines the appeals procedure. You may also want to contact the legal aid provider in your area. This number is listed in your local telephone directory.

Question: Is there an expiration of benefits for the Post-9/11 GI Bill?
Answer: Yes. In most cases, service members and veterans will need to use the Post-9/11 GI Bill within 15 years of discharge from the military.
Note: If discharged after January 1, 2013, the GI Bill does not expire.

Question: I retired from the military before 2009, am I or are my dependents eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill?
Answer: Anyone who served at least 90 days on active duty after September 11, 2001, is eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill. Those who served less than 36 months since 9/11/2001 will receive a reduced benefit. Those who retired prior to August 1, 2009, are not eligible to transfer benefits to their dependents. For information on eligibility and transferability, here is the link;

Question: Can I transfer my Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits to my spouse and children? What if I retired before putting them down as beneficiaries?
Answer:  Those who meet the time in service requirements and apply for transfer of benefits while still on active duty can transfer Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits to spouses and dependents. However, dependents must be named and assigned at least 1% of the benefits available prior to discharge. The percentages can be changed at any time. 

Here is the link for more information:

Question: Can I use my Post-9/11 GI Bill for summer courses?
Answer:  Yes, participants in the Post-9/11 GI Bill can use the benefit to take summer courses so long as the course has been approved for GI Bill benefits. Please check with your guidance counselor for more information.

Question: What is the difference between Tuition Assistance and the Post-9/11 GI Bill?
Answer: The Tuition Assistance (TA) program is administered by the Department of Defense and has its own set of rules and eligibility. The Post-9/11 GI Bill is a benefit program that is administered by the Department of Veterans Affairs. As such, service members using TA can continue their education under the Post-9/11 GI Bill upon separation from the military

Question: What criteria do I need to meet to qualify for the Yellow Ribbon program?
Answer:  You must have served at least 36 months on active duty to be eligible for Yellow Ribbon benefits. To review a list of schools participating in the Yellow Ribbon Program, please click

Question: Does the length of time served after 9/11 effect my level of benefits?
Answer: Yes, the amount of tuition and stipends paid under the Post 9/11 GI Bill will vary depending on your state of residence, number of units taken, and amount of post Sept. 11, 2001 active-duty service. Here is a quick reference showing the percentage of total combined benefit eligibility based on the following periods of post 9/11 service:

  • 100% - 36 or more total months
  • 100% - 30 or more consecutive days with Disability related Discharge.
  • 90% - 30 total months
  • 80% - 24 total months
  • 70% - 18 total months
  • 60% - 12 total months
  • 50% - six total months
  • 40% - 90 or more days

Question: Is the a limit to the benefits if I go to school half-time?
Answer: Yes, there is a limitation on Educational Assistance for Training Pursued at Half-time or Less and for Active Duty Members. If you attend training at 1/2 time or less you are not eligible for the monthly housing stipend. You are eligible for an appropriately reduced stipend for books. The amount of educational assistance payable is the applicable percentage mentioned in an earlier question at a rate the lesser of:
  • Established charges; or
  • Highest amount of established charges regularly charged in-State undergraduate students for full-time pursuit at an in-State public college or university.
Question: Does the Post 9/11 GI Bill have an expiration date?
Answer: Yes, your eligibility to use the Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits expires 15 years from the date of the last discharge or release from active duty of at least 90 consecutive days.

Question: Are there stipulations to my eligibility?
Answer: Yes, in order to retain eligibility, after meeting the previously listed service requirements, you must:
  • Be honorably discharged from Armed Forces; or
  • Be released from Armed Forces with service characterized as honorable and placed on the retired list, temporary disability retired list, or transferred to the Fleet Reserve or the Fleet Marine Corps Reserve; or
  • Be released from Armed Forces with service characterized as honorable for further service in a reserve component; or
  • Be discharged or released from Armed Forces for:
  • A medical condition which existed prior to service (EPTS),
  • Hardship (HDSP), or
  • A condition which interfered with duty (CIWD); or
  • Continue on active duty.

Question: The Montgomery GI Bill (MGIB) was limited to 36 Months of benefits, is there similar limit for the Post 9/11 GI Bill?
Answer: Yes, like the MGIB you are generally entitled to 36 months of educational assistance. You may not receive benefits under more than one VA education program at the same time. If you are entitled to more than one GI Bill program you may be eligible for a maximum of 48 months of entitlement when using benefits under two or more GI Bill programs.
Note: Individuals eligible under MGIB (Chapter 30) who elect to receive benefits under the Post 9/11 GI Bill are only entitled to the number of months they had remaining under MGIB (Chapter 30) (including any revoked months of transferred entitlement) up to a maximum of 36 month

Question: Where can if find out more about Veterans benefits?
Answer:  Go to the eBenefits website;  You can get information regarding many benefits in addition to education benefits.

Question: As a veteran, am I eligible for Financial Aid (FAFSA)?
Answer: Yes, you can apply through the FAFSA website. It is recommended that you do so because you may be eligible for a Pell Grant or Federal student loans.
Question:  Does the G.I. Bill pay for parking passes?
Answer:  No

Question: After I have extinguished all Post-9/11 G.I. Bill benefits, what does/will the Wisconsin G.I. Bill cover? Does it cover graduate degrees as well as undergraduate degrees?
Answer: If you were a resident of Wisconsin upon enlistment and you are still a resident or have been a resident for the last five consecutive years, the Wisconsin G. I. Bill will reward you with 128 credits for use at any University of Wisconsin school.  It will cover both graduate degrees as well as undergraduate degrees. 

Question: Does UW-Parkside participate in the Yellow Ribbon G.I. Enhancement Program?

Answer: Yes
Question: Are VA Education Benefits Taxable?
Answer:  No. Any veterans’ benefits paid under any law administered by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) should not be reported as income to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). You will not receive a W-2 from the VA.

Question:  Where can I find the Current Rates of Payment?

Question:  How do I verify my enrollment?
Answer: If you're receiving the Active Duty or Reserve GI Bill, REAP, or VRAP use the Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE)

Question: How do I know if I am eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill Eligibility for Active Duty Veterans?
Answer: Veterans who have served at least 90 days of active duty service after September 10, 2001 and received an honorable discharge will qualify for the Post-9/11 GI Bill. To qualify for the full benefit a veteran must have served at least 3 years of active duty after September 10, 2001. Those who qualify for the Active Duty GI Bill, the Reserve GI Bill or REAP will have the option to choose which benefit best suits their need.

Question:  How Is My Housing Allowance Paid If I'm Not A Full-Time Student?

Answer: Under the Post-9/11 GI Bill,a Veteran enrolled at more than one-half time can qualify for a monthly housing allowance based on DoD's Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) rate for an E-5 with dependents. VA determines eligibility for housing allowance by calculating the rate of pursuit. Rate of pursuit is expressed in a percentage calculated by dividing the number of credits in which the student is enrolled by the number of credits considered to be full time. A student with a rate of pursuit greater than 50% can qualify for the housing allowance.
Go to the Department of Defense website:
Enter year (2014), zip code of UWP (53141) and “E-5”
Click “calculate”

Question: When Will I Receive An Increase Or Decrease In My MHA Based On BAH Changes?
Answer: The Monthly Housing Allowance (MHA) payments you receive for the Post-9/11 GI Bill are based on the military's Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) rates for an E-5 with dependents. The Department of Defense adjusts the military BAH rate every calendar year (or January 1) based on changes to housing costs across the country. Rates can either go up or down.


Keywordsveteran services GI bill questions federal benefits military application   Doc ID50948
OwnerLinda W.GroupUW Parkside
Created2015-04-29 14:10:31Updated2019-07-18 14:43:34
SitesUW Parkside
Feedback  1   1