Topics Map > Campus Services
Topics Map > Learning Technology
Topics Map > Resources Guides
D2L - ePortfolio
What is an ePortfolio?
This document explains what ePortfolio is on D2L, and how to use it.
An ePortfolio is a collection of electronic artifacts that you have produced over time. An artifact is a file that you have stored on your D2L that indicates your growth as a learner. Examples of artifacts include things like papers you have written and PowerPoints you have presented. To learn more about adding Artifacts to D2L, click here.
1. Log into D2L.
2. Since ePortfolios are not course-specific, the ePortfolio tool can be found by going to the Student drop down menu on the homepage of D2L, or by going to My Tools from a specific course.
3. Select New Presentation to begin a new ePortfolio. New Collection helps you organize your thoughts and ideas.
Creating and Editing Your Presentation:
You can either create new presentations or edit older ones by selecting Edit in the file's dropdown menu.
There are multiple ways to customize your presentation and make it your own.
The Properties tab is where you can name and edit the details of your ePortfolio.
The Content/Layout tab is where you'll actually construct your ePortfolio. This is where you can build pages and edit the content of your presentation. We'll get into that more later.
The Banner tab is where can you edit the heading of your presentation. Whatever you place in the Banner tab will appear on every page of your ePortfolio.
The Theme tab is where you can edit the appearance of your presentation. There are themes ready-made for you to choose from, or you can personalize them even further.
Uploading Portfolio Content:
Before you can add items to your ePortfolio, they first must be added into D2L as Artifacts. To learn more about adding Artifacts in D2L, click here.
1. Once you have artifacts uploaded to My Items, you are able to add them to your ePortfolio.
2. To add content to your presentation, go back to your ePortfolio and choose Edit.
3. On the page you want to add your item to, select Add Component. This is where you can upload your artifact.
Note: Depending on the theme you choose, your layout might look different.
Building Your ePortfolio:
Now that you understand how each tab functions and how to upload Artifacts to your portfolio, we'll go over how to edit the actual pages in your portfolio. Pages help you navigate between topics and organize your content. Content Area 1 is the main area of your presentation. Think of Content Area 2 as being your navigation bar or your menu.
1. To add a New Page to your presentation, select the piece of paper with a plus sign icon. That will create a new page.
2. Give the page a name and you'll see it appear under your Pages list.
3. You can rearrange the order of your pages using the green arrows.
That's the Content side of the tab. If you want to adjust the Layout, you have the option to do that, too. Layout can be adjusted using the Edit Presentation Navigation and Edit Page Layout tabs.
Edit Presentation Navigation lets you arrange the navigation of your presentation.
Edit Page Layout lets you choose if you want one content area or two.
If you ever want to preview your presentation, select View Presentation at the top of the page. It will open up a new window with your current project.
Submitting your ePortfolio using Dropbox:
1. In your course, open the assignment folder that you'll be submitting your portfolio to.
2. Select Add File.
3. Choose ePortfolio.
4. Select the presentation you want to upload.
5. Hit the Select button and then click Submit to finalize your submission.
Note: You do not have to share your ePortfolio in order to submit it to the dropbox.
Sharing your ePortfolio:
1. To share your ePortfolio with others, start by going to ePortfolio and selecting Sharing Groups.
2. Click on New Sharing Group and name the group.
3. Click the Save and Close button.
4. Open the new group by clicking on it.
5. Under Sharing Group Members, click on the Add Users button.
6. Click on the Courses tab.
7. Select the course you want to share your ePortfolio with.
8. Assign the desired permissions.
Note: The default permissions are set to View, See comments from others, and Add comments.
9. Click on the Add button.
10. Click on the Save and Close button.
11. Go back to the ePortfolio link.
12. Go to your ePortfolio's drop down menu and click Share.
13. Select the Add Users and Groups button.
14. Go to the Sharing Groups tab.
15. Choose the group you want to share with.
16. Click on the Share button.
17. Hit the Close button. Your presentation will be shared.