Topics Map > UWP Help Desk
Topics Map > Resources Guides
Identity Finder - How To Use
This document shows users how to use Identity Finder.
How do I use Identity Finder?
To use Identity Finder, follow the instructions appropriate to your operating system.
If you need support for Identity Finder, the program contains a comprehensive help system. You can also visit Identity Finder Enterprise Support, which offers a searchable online help system and downloadable help files, or send email to email@example.com.
On this page:
Using Identity Finder for Windows
To use Identity Finder for Windows:
or insert any external storage media (e.g., external hard drives, flash
drives, CDs, or DVDs) or file server shares that you want to search in
addition to your computer's hard drive.
from any file server shares that you do not want Identity
Finder to search.
start Identity Finder Enterprise Edition, from the Start menu, select All
Programs, then Identity
Finder, and then Identity
Finder Enterprise Edition.
- In the “New Identity Finder Profile” window, select Skip or enter a profile password to secure your search results. If you choose the Skip option you will be prompted to use a Guest Profile. Click OK.
the "Identity Finder Welcome" window, select Continue
- In the "Search Wizard" window, select "Configure Search", make sure Credit Card Numbers, Bank Account Numbers, Social Security Numbers, Passwords, and any other identities you wish search for are checked. Click Next.
- Under "Locations", select Files and Compressed
files, Browsers, E-Mails and Attachments, and Windows Registry are selected.
"File Locations", select the places you want to search. Choose
either My Documents and Settings, My Computer,
or Custom Location. Click Next.
the Confirmation window,
review your selections; if necessary, click Back to make any changes. Click Finish to begin the search as specified.
- Upon completion of the search, from the "Search Summary" window, select the Wizard option which will take you through your results and help you choose the best actions to protect your personal information. The option to Shred will securely and permanently delete any files selected. The use of Quarantine is not recommended as that simply moves the file to another folder. You can also edit the file and remove the sensitive data while leaving other data intact.
- Be sure to rerun the tool to ensure that the sensitive data has been moved or relocated.