Topics Map > Learning Technology > Canvas
Working Around Respondus LockDown Browser Hardware Limitations
This page shows how work around Respondus LockDown Browser limitations on certain computer hardware. This process involves setting up a duplicate of the quiz assignment and modifying your gradebook for the affected students.
If you have individual students who cannot access the Respondus LockDown Browser and/or Webcam Monitoring, the two easiest solutions are disabling the Respondus LockDown requirement for the entire assignment or duplicating the quiz for the affected students with the Respondus option deactivated. There is an alternative monitoring add-on called Honorlock for these affected students. More information on Honorlock can be found at the bottom of this document.
Step 1 - Set Up the Duplicate Quiz
- Duplicate The Quiz - Click here to view the Knowledgebase page that shows how to duplicate a quiz assignment within a course. The copy will appear on your Quizzes page when it finishes copying.
- Edit The Duplicate Quiz's Settings - Locate the duplicate version of the quiz in your course and Edit the settings. You can identify that you opened the duplicate copy if the assignment group is set to Imported Assignments instead of whatever you set for the original quiz.
- Update the Quiz Title - Quizzes with Respondus enabled should have "- Requires Respondus LockDown Browser" added at the end of the title. Delete that section of the title so you can differentiate between the two versions.
- Update the Assignment Group - The quiz duplicate will be categorized as an Imported Assignment in your gradebook by default. Update this to be in the same assignment category as the original version of the quiz.
- Assign the Duplicate to Only the Affected Students - At the bottom of the quiz settings is the Assign/Due Date box. Click the X next to the word Everyone so that this duplicate won't be assigned to the entire class. Instead, enter the names of the students who need to take this version of the quiz instead of the Respondus-enabled version.
- Click the Save button at the bottom of the page to save your changes
- Turn off LockDown Browser for the Duplicated Quiz - Go to the Respondus LockDown Browser tab from your course's navigation links.
- Locate your duplicated quiz on the list of course quizzes. Click the arrow to the left of it and open the Settings. Respondus should indicate that there is an error to the right of the duplicate because you deleted the "- Requires Respondus LockDown Browser" title extension.
- Select the "Don't require Respondus LockDown Browser for this exam" option at the top of the settings. Click Save & Close to apply this update.
Step 2 - Excuse the Affected Student(s) from the Original Quiz
- Open the Grades page in your course
- Locate the original Respondus-enabled quiz column in your gradebook and click on the gradebook cell for the affected student(s)
- Click the arrow icon to the right side of the grading cell to open a pop-out menu
- Select the Excused option
Step 3 - Activate Honorlock for the Affected Students
- Title of the quiz OR a direct link to the quiz itself
- Any students who need to be assigned to this quiz (if you have not already assigned them to yourself as detailed in the steps above)